Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Adapting to the 4-5-1

I recently began my new roles as coach for FC UbiSoft in the Canadian Corporate League - Premiership division and FC Gabon in the African League Premiership. Coaching two teams isn't all that easy, let alone one. But it helps when the majority of players are part of both teams. It has made me realize that my favorite tactical formation wasn't really my favorite.

I have started using variations of the 4-5-1 formation. For the uninformed, a formation is the shape your team should keep during the match. Each player in the formation has a role comprising of attacking responsibilities, defensive duties and support play. A formation dictates the style of play and is usually decided by the strengths of the players in question.

For years, I have watched Sir Alex Ferguson teach the world how to use the 4-4-2 with FC Manchester United, one of the most commonly used formations in football. Assuming that it would be directly effective, I applied it to my teams too. Not only were my players out of position often, they weren't even playing to their strengths. As I began considering alternatives, I came across the 4-5-1 variations that David Moyes uses at Everton FC. Not only is the style more suited for my players, it brings a lot of fluidity to attach and defense. Below are the three variations (figure a, b, c) that the 4-5-1 can be used in.


Now some might argue that figure b is almost the same as a 4-4-2, but I would say that this style brings more midfield pressure on the opponent. Figure a is quite defensive while figure c is the attacking version. Since I have an abundance of midfield players to choose from, especially in central roles, both my players and me have adapted well to this formation.


No comments: