Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008

A new day, a new month, a new year! Every year I hope that the upcoming 12 months will be better than the previous ones. Every year I make a mockery of people's resolutions, saying that they will never last, nobody ever follows them for an entire year, or even remembers about them after January goes by. Every year I look back and let the lessons that I have learnt in the past year get imprinted onto my memory. Every year I work out, stay in shape and then ruin the hardwork by overeating in India.

January promises to be one of the most important months of 2008 for me. I'll defend my project and will finally graduate, I'll make the transition across the ocean to do my masters without any sort of break, I'll embark on a new journey into the wilderness that is USA, the chapter called "Russia" will be over after five years. January holds the key to the next two years of my life, and the next two years of my life will shape up the rest of them, I'm told.

The past year was eventful. Memorable moments include my mom and sister visiting me in St.Petersburg and us touring in Moscow, me celebrating my birthday at home after five years, me getting my US visa, me witnessing an ILS crosswind approach at Helsinki while landing at night through my window and finally, me running around the university trying to convince my department that I can graduate.

Years come and go, I don't even see 1st January as a big deal anymore, it's just another day to me. People say that whatever you do on the first day of the year, you end up doing all year long. Well, I don't know how true that is. Resolutions, though, have to be made. People make them every year, including me. It doesn't matter if you follow them or not, but you need to make them. My resolutions for 2008 include more tonic from last year, more of the same, more hardwork, more determination, more leadership, more responsibility, more ambition, more friends. But something needs to be added every year, something should be new, they say. So, this year I'll add work and blogging. I will try my best to blog as often as I can, as sincerely as I can and will try my best to get an on-campus job or assistantship of some kind. Now that I have written it down, I'll check at the end of the year how much I tried.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008!

1 comment:

~The Dream Catcher~ said...

When I was in 13, and in 7th std, my teachers said that this was the most important year of my life because it would decide which class I would be put in, the brilliant class or dull class. Class tenth, most important year because would shape my future and my college years - Science, arts, commerce. Class 12th, most important year, would shape my future career choice. Undergrad year I, II, III - All most important because they would shape my career.
Masters I - Most important year of my life because it would shape my going to US and in turn my life.
Masters in UIUC - Sem I - Most important year of my life, because it would decide my career options, internship options, job options.. etc..

Does it ever stop?