Sunday, March 16, 2008

Write here, write now

I was having a discussion a few days back with a friend about reading and writing. There is nobody in the world who likes both equally. We all like one more than the other. Some of us prefer reading, while some prefer writing.

I like to read. Some tales are better told in words than on screen. But writing is my passion. If someone told me to choose, I would tend to bend more towards writing. It's not only my blog, but the other stuff that I write. I normally don't show people everything. It's just such a beautiful way of venting.

I've written poems, scripts, even short stories. Some friends have witnessed a few of my short stories. They were well-appreciated. My fear is and will always be the same, that someone will duplicate my material. That's the reason I never post any of those stories on my blog. Some genius jackass siting in Swaziland can easily translate my story and make a movie out of it which might win a Raspberry award. This is the reason why I sometimes think about a good subject but never put pen to paper. I once thought about an excellent sequel to "Main Khiladi Tu Anadi" - a 90s hit hindi movie. I had planned out the entire plot in my head, continued with most of the characters from the first film and given it a decent ending. And yes, this would have been a film without any songs. But those would find their way into the film anyway, as they always do in hindi cinema. Most of the script involved incidents that had happened in the past few years with me and my friends, and everything made sense. I had the stunts, the thrills, the romance, all in my head, but for some reason I decided to think more and never wrote it. I've forgotten most of it now. But still remember the story, at least the gist of it.

Another story that I've been working on is my own. It's been three years since I first started writing the script for that one. Still don't have a name for it, but I'd named it "The Amateur" temporarily. It's a drama-thriller about a young CIA agent. I never got a chance to continue it. Same case with this story. I have the whole plot in my head, but don't have the time to sit and write it down exactly the way it is.

I've decided that I'm going to devote a certian amount of time every week to my stories and scripts. Now that it's Spring Break, I can make such a decision. After a month, when I'm swamped with studies for my final exams, I won't even remember that I ever thought about this resolution, and my stories will once again be mummified waiting for the next excavation trip.

No comments: