Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The things people say

Here is the transcript of the pre-match and post-match text messages that people have sent via the 606 and 81111 networks in Britian. Courtesy of BBC Sports, people can message their opinions and comments which are then added onto the live text commentary of the match.

from red_head_devil on 606: "I awoke this morning next to my not-attractive-enough girlfriend, to travel to my not-paid-enough job before I return to my not-big-enough house to watch United on my not-good-enough telly - but if we win at Barca tonight - well, today would be one hell of a good day."

from Sp0rtsFan23 on 606: "In return for going to bingo last night with the missus, we are having steak in front of the match with The Apprentice lined up on Sky Plus for afters. I'm a Gooner but am massively looking forward to this clash."

Anonymous: "When Solskjaer scored the winner in Barcelona in 1999 I jumped out of my chair, my socks slipped on the carpet, I fell backwards and hit my head on the floor, giving myself concussion."

from Phil in Manchester via text: "If United lose another game this season, nevermind tonight, I will buy a hat and then eat it."

from Matt via text: "I'm sitting in my pants in my dingy student house, writing my dissertation, while my tutor is partying in Las Ramblas with a bunch of merry Catalans. There's something wrong here."

from craidski_MUFC on 606: "I'm sat at work clock-watching. I can't wait for the day to end so I can drag the missus down the pub to watch what is going to be one of the best European games of the year."

"Park marking Messi? Jinkies!"
Tom, Manchester, via text on 81111

I'm in an open exam at the minute for my finals, and I'm watching the match, without beer, as a compromise. Sort your priorities out!"
Jez in York, via text on 81111

"The script has already been written, Henry to come off the bench and score the winner."
Darrell via text on 81111

"United have played like a boxer willing to take a barrage of body-blows. They haven't been very adventurous but limited the damage Barca could have dealt."
Mathew, London, via text on 81111



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

where do Man U fans watch games in Champaign? It would be nice to find some atmosphere tomorrow afternoon.

Ashwin said...

Anonymous - I watch the matches at home on SopCast or TVU player. I would love to meet up with Man Utd fans and watch the matches together. But I don't think there's any pub or restaurant that exclusively broadcasts these matches. Let me know if you find such a place. We could create the atmosphere that you were talking about.

Anonymous said...

a friend of mine and I will be at Guido's downtown to catch at least the second half. Since the games are on ESPN2, is shouldn't be a problem getting at least 1 TV tuned in.

Hope Rooney is healthy enough to play.

Ashwin said...

I could definitely join in for the second half. But getting to Guido's will take some time for me. And I will end up missing a lot of the match in the process. This would be a lot easier if you weren't anonymous.
:P

Rooney will play through the pain barrier if he has to, but I don't think he will sit this one out.

Anonymous said...

well, Guido's was not "hoppin", but we did get to watch the 1-0 Man U win. they wouldn't even turn the volume on for us, despite the fact that there were only about 6 people in the whole place. The wings are good though.

We'll be trying another place for the next "must see" afternoon game - likely during Euro 08.

Ashwin said...

Ummm.... I think the Champions' League final in May will be the next "must see" after noon game.

I'll try scouting for venues too.