Friday, June 13, 2008

Need for speed

I have loved driving all my life. There was a time when I would have given anything to become a professional racing driver. Even today, there are some people in my life who still encourage me to take it up professionally. I used to be amazed at the street races happening around Mumbai. The ones at Marine Lines and the Western Express Highway interested me the most. Quite a few early-morning walkers have been killed over the years because of this so-called sport.

You have to know the right people, be at the right places and have the right attitude to even be considered for the races, I was told once.

On May 25th, 2008 I was offered a seat in a race. I was given instructions and details. Everything felt real. In fact, it was as real as can be. Suddenly, I remembered all the accidents of the past that I had read about. Now, even though I would be racing on the Western Express highway on certian undisclosible nights at certian undisclosable times when people do not venture out to stroll, I was reluctant to say yes. This is something that surprised me. I just couldnt say yes. It isn't gambling, it isn't. No money involved. Only your car, your skills, your pride and your life.

I have been thinking of the hit-and-runs. Haven't even started to think about what would happen at speeds of 120-150kmph. What would happen if I lost control for a split second at those speeds. Newton would laugh in his grave while pointing out to his second law. Others would just point at the picture below in horror.

I have never doubted my skills as a driver. Never been scared.

I still have been given the option to mull it over and say yes after a year.

1 comment:

Rohit said...

your parents wont be very happy with you if you did THAT to your car!! And I am not very happy with you right now cause you dint mention what newton's second law is..now I have to go look for my physics book!! BAH!!