Thursday, November 22, 2007

Scouting for love

Most people fall in love, and get married. But what happens when you don’t fall in love? An arrange marriage is an option. That gives you the chance to find love after you get married. Some, including me, see an arrange marriage as a risk.

One of my childhood friends, who is around three years elder to me is hunting for a bride. He’s been undergoing the interview process (that’s what I call pre-arrange-marriage stuff) for like ten months now. He keeps emailing me and telling me stuff about the arrange-marriage side of life. He’s not the kind of guy who can settle down and adjust with any kind of girl. He has never even been in a relationship in his life. He lost his father when he was young and his mother isn’t forcing him to get married, but he’s 26, so she isn’t saying “we’ll wait” either. So, the scouting began for my friend a while back now and he hasn’t even got close to liking a girl. He mailed me a few weeks back and it didn’t look good. I deleted the mail but remember most of the sentences, which were really striking. He still feels that he’s lost his chance to fall in love, that now he’s out of options and advised me to try to settle down with someone that I love. Good advice, but apart from that I completely disagree with him. Firstly, he’s just 26. Yes, I said ‘just’. It isn’t the end of the world for him. All he needs to do is find new avenues to meet people. He’s working, so I told him to do so through his line of work. Secondly, if he isn’t ready to get married, he shouldn’t even think about it. That would just make everyone around him unhappy. And finally, things turn out the way they are supposed to. If he does find someone and settle down with her through the “interview process”, she could turn out to be ‘The One’. That’s what I believe and that’s what I told him. He hasn’t replied, which is good because that means he heard what I said and is considering it.

I can’t wait to get to India and see him pretend he has everything under control. I hope I can support him whenever he needs me.

No comments: