Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Judgement Day

After six sleepless nights in Mumbai, the place I call home, Judgement Day arrived for me. I promised myself in the morning while I was having tea, "No matter what happens today, the first thing I'll do after coming home is write about it on my blog".

I couldn't sleep as usual. After rolling around in my bed for hours, I got frustrated at 6.30 am, so I got up and watched some tv till 8. Got ready and left by 9. I had to go to my accountant first, to collect the revised financial summary. Whenever mom felt that I was nervous, she started some topic and calmed me down in the taxi. At least it took my focus off the subject and reduced my heart-rate. Everything was in order at the accountant's place, we began the taxi ride to the other side of the city. I knew it would take at least an hour, we would reach one hour before the given time and that was exactly how I wanted it to be.

As we pulled over at the consulate, I saw the queue. It stretched along the walls of four buildings. It was long, we had an hour. Just then Rohit called up to check on me. I had received calls from all the people, who I had expected would call, in the past 24 hours. Rohit kept saying, "Don't mention NASA, say that you are coming back, ISRO chalega". My head was a cacophony of panicked voices. We began to move forward slowly. Just then Anurag (forgot his surname) turned to me and asked, "Are you applying for a student visa?"
"Yes", I replied and that sparked a conversation between us. I noticed a girl in front of us constantly turning around and looking at us. She was with her parents. Later she introduced herself to me as Akshata Hegde. I also noticed two girls and a boy standing behind us.

The boy standing behind us joined in the conversation at some point. While we were talking, this guy utters the word "F**K" in front of my mom and Akshata's parents. A voice in my head said, "What did he say? Oh! You have got to be kidding me!" Anurag and myself looked at each other. There was a brief moment of silence after which we never gave that guy a chance to butt into our talks, especially if he was going to say those words.

Anurag, Akshata and myself really hit it off. We started making each other laugh. I felt comfortable around them, comfortable enough to tell them that I'm doing my undergrad from St.Petersburg and will fly directly from there once I'm done. Anurag seemed like the type of guy that you would need around you during a crisis, a guy who knew stuff and wouldn't hold back. Akshata was really sweet, had an amazing smile and would speak her mind. We joked around about how the how they are making a new airport in Mumbai, so the old one can be used for the new consulate considering the queue we were standing in. I can now imagine how many applicants maybe applying every year. Anurag asked me about my views on luck and I told him that it depends. One day luck may play a 50% role, the next day it might be 99%. Akshata liked the answer, "I liked the way you put that", she said, "Very true". Both of them freaked me out every ten minutes about how my case was a unique one, something the visa officer would question me about. Not many people do aerospace engineering from Russia then switch to the USA for masters. I might be the first one ever. But in the next ten minutes, they relieved me in some way or the other. Then, Anurag and me would tease Akshata about how much shopping women have to do and she was probably thinking about what to buy that very moment.

We entered at 12.30 pm, after 90 minutes of baby-steps. After I passed through the security check, they dug up my application forms and handed them over to me. I then went for a fingerprint check and submitted the forms along with my passport and I-20(admission document) at the counter. My token number was 918. All I could do now was wait, alone. Anurag and Akshata were nowhere to be seen. I sat in the first row. There were around 50-60 people sitting, waiting for their number to be called out. At 1.10, I heard 918 and headed for window number 17. I saw Anurag and Akshata standing in a line as I walked past them. Akshata waved at me, but I was too late to react to her thumbs up. She turned away.

I was second in my line. The visa officer was a female in her mid 30s maybe. I had a broad smile on my face. Everyone who knows me, knows that I am a ladies' man. The guy in front of me entered and was asked to show quite a few documents. He was rejected!!!! My heart-rate, my pulse-rate, my blood pressure, maybe even my sugar-level increased. As I opened the door, the lady asked me, "Is that a child over there?"
"Yes", I answered hoping that she would grant me the visa for my correct answer.
"Can you please send her in before you if you don't mind?" she requested me.
I instructed the girl and her mother to enter ahead of me. They were done in about thirty seconds. In those thirty seconds, I tried to say every prayer possible. I mixed up the verses of one prayer, didn't realise where I started it or where it should end, I just kept saying some verse.
After they were done I entered.
"Good Afternoon"
"Good Afternoon Ma'am. How are you?"
"I'm fine. So, why are you applying to the USA?"
"I'm applying for a student visa to the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign"
I'll never forget the reaction she gave me to that. When I said the university's name, she gave me a "can't reject you" look.
"Which other universities had you applied to?" she asked.
"Illinois Institute of Technology and Penn State University."
"Eleven? Did you say eleven?" she asked in a higher volume.
"No, ma'am, I said Illinois"
"Who will be funding you're education?" was her next.
"My family members" was my vague answer.
"What do they do?"
At this point, I was actually wondering how many family members I have.
"My father has his business and my mom's a housewife. But, we have some retirement money kept aside for my education. That's what we'll be using"
That was exactly what she wanted to hear.
"OK. Here you go", she handed over my I-20 back to me. "Your passport will be couriered to you."

I exited with a smile, realizing that I had achieved something that took me two years on the whole, right from the start to my TOEFL preparation in 2006. I hugged mom, called up most of the important people in my life. I looked for Akshata and Anurag, but couldn't find either. Luckily, I met Anurag further down the road and we exchanged experiences. All three of us had got the visa.

It's amazing how two strangers you meet can have an impact on your mood, on your state of mind, especially at testing times such as these. I wouldn't want any other two people in place of them at that moment. Everything seemed balanced, everything seemed chaotic, everything turned out just the way we wanted it.

2 comments:

kadak sing said...

hey... i like the sound of me man... very "sweet" and "adorable" u cud have done with a some more expansive adjectives but chalta hain......i'll forgive you becos u r ...russian???

Anonymous said...

ladies man!!?!! what kinda gender is that?? :P ;) nice post(s) btw...